top of page

A Bit of History...

  • The town’s oral history tells that the Goldston Public Library started at a lending library run by the women of the town of Goldston in the 1920’s.

  • In 1952, the Goldston Public Library was formally created with the support of the Goldston Lion’s Club, the Central NC Regional Library System, and members of the community in a room inside Chatham Bank. It then moved to the town jail.

  • In 1979, The Friends of the Goldston Library was formed in an effort to keep the library from closing. Around this same time, the library was moved to a building at the town park.

  • The effort to keep the library open and expand its services was successfully and in 1999, the site of Gwyn’s Rest Home was purchased and renovated for use.

  • In 2004, the Goldston Public Library moved to its current location on the corner or Main St. and Pittsboro-Goldston Rd.

  • The Goldston Public Library is the heart of the community and well used. Soon, it was starting to outgrow the space. In 2018, Virginia Hester left the library a large donation for expansion. The Friends of the Goldston Library began planning and pushing for an addition to be built.

  • In 2019, an architect was hired and plans were drawn up for an addition to the library. However, soon after plans were made, the COVID pandemic shut everything down.

  • As things began to open back up after the pandemic, The Friends of the Goldston Library turned their attention once again to the building of the library’s addition. Work was started to secure additional funding and grants and to get things moving.

  • In 2022, Jimmy Goldston left a large donation to the library. Combined with the other funds, the Friends of the Goldston Library were finally able to move forward with the expansion of the Goldston Library. The projected is expected to begin in early 2024. The new addition will include a dedicated children’s area and general use room as well as new work and office areas for the staff.

bottom of page